Wednesday, February 9, 2011

on being accountable

As I get older it becomes more apparent by the day that deep down, I am pretty darn lazy.  I can drive my husband, who is a doctor and has never cut a corner in his life, nuts.  I know there are times where he prefer me not to do something, knowing full well I will not take the time to do it to standards that meet his expectations.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  Maybe you are the control freak and your loved one is the lazy sack of...

Here are some examples of my laziness...

I'm reading a book and I get 14 pages from the end but I've lost interest.  I will put the book down and count it as a read.

I will start laundry only to burn out by the final load and let it sit in the washer until I forget about it and discover it the next time I go to do laundry.  They load must then be rewashed and I pray there won't be mold.

I sweep crumbs off onto the floor.  (Only to be later swept or vacuumed.  I said I was lazy but not dirty, people.)

I have been known to swipe in at the gym, walk into the locker room and walk out to get an incentive visit on my card.

Sometimes when cooking, when I feel to lazy to get out measuring utensils, I will eyeball it and hope for the best.

My last example might be an overshare but sometimes, when Chris works nights, I go to bed without brushing my teeth.  I don't know why I think the extra 2 minutes will make a difference but sometimes I'm too lazy for proper oral care.  (I hope we can still be friends.)

Over Christmas, we started a book club.  It's a bunch of my dear friends who are participating.  The deal: you must read 15 books this year or you have to buy the group dinner.  We set up a Google doc to record books as you read them.  To my horror, I'm being out read by most of the group (and I'm a former Reading teacher).  That competitive edge kicks in and I have been reading nonstop.  Knowing that the Google document is waiting for me to record my next book is enough motivation to get my butt in gear.  There is also the pride issue of getting shown up by Matt Roach.  What can I say, the guy's a learner.

The gym we joined here is the Mayo Clinic gym.  They have an incentive system set up.  The more you use the gym, the cheaper it is to be a member.  Thirty visits in three months gives you a discounted rate for the next three months.  Each time you show up, you get an incentive visit on your swipe card.  When you check in, besides the awkward ID photo, you see how many visits you have left.  As you know if you've read my blog for long, when money is on the line, I'm hecka motivated.  It has worked to keep me going regularly.  I think about how many visits I have, how often I need to go and I am held accountable to working out. (Minus those low moments when I swipe and dash.)

Being accountable.  It's important.  If the library didn't charge a fine I would hoard their books.  If there weren't social repercussions I'd cut in line every time.  There have to be consequences for our actions.  We need to feel obligated to Someone.  It all confirms my theory that man was not created to live alone. We were not meant to live our lives here on earth in isolation.  I'm thankful that I am accountable for more than just my gym attendance, library etiquette, and book repertoire.  I'm so glad I have friends who check in on my spiritual growth, ask about my family, know me and my lazy tendencies.  Accountability is good.

2 comments:

  1. I think we all have lazy moments. For example, I hate laundry and will put clean, folded clothes on top of my dresser instead of putting them in the drawers. Hey, it happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. " I sweep crumbs on the floor" ...and that is why I have not one, but two, dogs. Haha. You are not alone. I know you, and I know you are not lazy.

    ReplyDelete