Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Just Call Me Campy McCamperson

Our family dabbled in a little overnight camping while out West.  If you've ever had a conversation with me about camping, you might be a little puzzled to hear that we did such a thing.  I HATE the idea of camping.  In fact, the first camping trip I took was a few summers ago with about 50 middle school kids.  While it had it's redeeming qualities, I can't say I was sold.  We woke up wet, there was always a tween coming in and out of the tent (with muddy shoes), and I couldn't get our boat to paddle forward which caused a chain reaction of fear and anxiety from my tiny fellow boat mates.  Those of you who were on that trip with me know it wasn't pretty.

Fast forward to our trip to Seattle and my adventurous husband's proposal to camp while on vacation.  Hmmm . . . sleeping outside, on the ground, in a tent, does not sound like a vacay to me.  But after some coaxing I agreed to go along for the one night we planned to camp.

We drove from Seattle to Portland and along the way hit up McDonald's twice.  Don't judge; we were still on vacation.  We also met up with friends, Ben and Liz, in Portland and enjoyed our first of two visits to the food trucks (think carnival without the rides).  Again, don't judge; it was vacation.



We made it to our campground just as dark was falling.  It was perfect timing, really.  After some tent improvising, we put baby girl to bed in her down sleeping bag, i.e., Chris' winter coat, and she fell fast asleep.  Nothing stops Monstie from getting her twelve hours.

We enjoyed some camping delicacies: grilled hotdogs wrapped in cinnamon rolls and breakfast tacos as well as a few roasted marshmallows and PBR.  We classy like that.

In the morning we tore down camp and headed a few miles to Multnomah Falls.  These waterfalls are breathtaking.  The foliage was straight out of a Lord of the Rings film and I quickly became entranced by the gorgeous scenery of Oregon.





All in all the trip was a success.  And yes, I'd even camp again.

5 comments:

  1. Camping with a baby? I am impressed! The pictures are great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara! I was shocked and so proud. Monstie was super cute in these pictures. I like the new blog look too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys got a lot of great pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pics, great story.... I'm caught up on my blog reading now:)

    ReplyDelete