Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Some "Summa" Time Goals

So summer is slowly approaching here in Minnesota.  I did open my windows yesterday afternoon so that's a step in the right direction.  


As a former teacher, summer meant loads of time to read, lounge, hang out by the pool and work on a sunburn.  This summer as the Camp Director (yes, you read right) I will be putting in more hours than my regular day job during the school year.  It will be busy and consuming but so fun.  Not everyone gets to do a job like this.  I just ordered a bajillion craft projects from Oriental Trading Company.  I booked a field trip for our campers every day of the summer and I get to plan out weekly themes like "Super Splash" and "Drama-Rama."  Playing Four-Square is part of my job description.  Score!


AS of late, I have developed some interests that I have want to give more time and energy.  I acquired a DSLR camera from my parents about a month ago and have since wanted to work on my photography skills.  I also found a stash of old Rachel Ray magazines that has renewed a passion for cooking that I thought I lost after my first year of marriage.  So while I know this summer will be packed with all kinds of work and fun, I really wanted to make an effort to develop some mad skillz in these two arenas.    So, in my infinite nerdiness, I created some goals.  


GOAL #1: Cook one new meal a week.  


GOAL #2: Take 30 pictures a week with new camera.


My plan is to record my progress for you on the blog.  (I'll bet you were hoping I'd share with you.)


Without further adieu, I give you my first new meal.  


I know, I need to work on the photography skills.  Why did I leave the fork and knife in the picture?  How come the plate is off centered in the photo?  Yes, it's a touch out of focus but I only took one shot of the finished product SO, you'll have to bear with me.  What better starting point for honing my photography skills than a really crappy picture of food?  
Rachel Ray's Lazy Baked Greek Chicken


Ingredients:
2 T EVOO
1/2 medium onion, finely shopped
3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 10oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (I used fresh spinach and wilted in the microwave in a bowl with a little water...just drain it well after)
salt and pepper
freshly grated nutmeg, to taste (didn't have, so didn't use)
3 T butter
1 c panko breadcrumbs
1 t dried oregano
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese (mine was a garlic and herb kind)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
-Heat 1 T EVOO in small skillet over med heat. Add the onion and 2/3 of the garlic and cook until softened, 3-4 minutes.
-Transfer to a bowl to cool, then add the spinach and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
-Melt the butter in the same pan, turn off the heat and add the panko, oregano and remaining garlic; toss.
-Drizzle baking dish with remaining 1 T EVOO. Split each chicken breast across (but not all the way through) and open like a book. Stuff with the spinach and feta, letting the stuffing overflow at the edges.
-Place chicken pieces in the baking dish and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake until the juices run clear, about 20 minutes.



We thought this meal was mighty tasty and would most definitely serve it to friends if they came over.  Isn't that the ultimate test?  It moves to our family's home run meal list.  It's easy, healthy and delicious.  

1 comment:

  1. Sara, I love your goals! I definitely need to make a list for myself. The Lazy Chicken looks delish! We will have to try it some time!

    ReplyDelete