Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Little Tuesday Morning Reflection for You

I've mentioned my morning devotional before.  I'm currently reading, Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence  by Sarah Young  and it can be dead on Godly wisdom for me in a particular moment in time.

This morning I woke up, much like many other mornings, and lay in bed thinking of all the things that needed to happen today.  I found myself wondering when I would have time to get dinner in the crock pot and if I had enough time to squeeze in a before dinner walk with a friend.   I worried that Chris did not save an empty egg carton for my upcoming busy bag exchange when he made us a delicious meal last night (french toast and eggs- sorry ladies, he's taken!).  I thought of getting up and checking my Google calendar to make sure I hadn't missed a scheduled appointment later this week and worried about when I would clean the bathrooms today.  I remembered the reading I need to do for small group tomorrow and then worried if it was our week to provide a meal.  Which reminded me, I wanted to cook something for a friend who just had a baby boy and I immediately began running through some possible menus for the meal I hoped to provide...  This all ran through my mind in a sixty second reel and all of sudden, before I'd even gotten out of bed, I felt overwhelmed.

Am I crazy or can I get an amen?

This morning's reading hit right at the heart of my over planning, anxiety-ridden way of life.

"I (God) am always with you, so you have no reason to be afraid (or overwhelmed or anxious).  Your fear often manifests itself in excessive planning.  Your mind is so accustomed to this pattern of thinking that you are only now becoming aware of how pervasive it is and how much it hinders intimacy with Me.  Repent of this tendency and resist it, whenever you realize you are wandering down this well-worn path.  Return to my presence, which always awaits you in the present moment. I accept you back with no condemnation. "

Guilty.

So if you are anything like me and a good old fashioned to-do list is all it takes to bring you back from that ledge, you might also benefit from this wisdom.  Perhaps I need to live more in the moment, trusting God's provision and timing rather than aways trying to be the great orchestrator of my life.  Hmmmm.

"Be still, and know that I am God."  Psalm 46:10

2 comments:

  1. Love this. Seriously those thoughts run through my head too. And that quickly. It's kind of ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete