Thursday, April 19, 2012

mess

You know how many times I've picked up all 64 pastel Easter eggs leftover from the holiday?

Probably 64 times.

Maybe more.

Yes, definitely more.

It's no fun to play with them unless they are all sprawled across the floor.

You know what else is no fun?  Reading a book before all it's little book friends are lying on the floor around us sad with rejection having been uprooted from their shelf home in our attempt to find that "just right book."  Forget carefully selecting one title to read, books must be flung in all directions in order to locate just the book we had in mind.

You know what I may never serve my daughter again?  Spaghetti.  Never mind that she loves it and it's cheap and easy to prepare.  There is a permanent film of spaghetti sauce oil on the highchair and Lakin is always left with a faint sauce beard until her next bath.

Tiny messes fill my day.  Most of the time I don't mind unloading the dishwasher, color coding the lacing beads, and picking up the miscellaneous play kitchen food for the zillionth time that day.  But then there are moments where I just want to say, "Can't you just keep some order around here little girl?!"  Do you really need to bring the training potty into the living room so you can sit on it and play with your kitchen?  How about the serving utensils that always find their way out of the drawer and onto the kitchen floor - I mean is that necessary?  You can follow Lakin's mess to find out just where she's previously been and what she's been doing.  It's her trail of breadcrumbs; omit breadcrumbs and insert empty sippy cups, Easter eggs, foam bath bath toys, and the occasional cooking instrument.

But then I remember, homes are for living in, toys are meant for playing, and little ones create messes as they discover the world.  We're learning, we're loving, and we're playing.  It is good.  Even if it is messy.

While this job feels redundant and small sometimes, it's not.  It's incredibly important.  In fact, it's the most important job I've ever held.  So I will continue to vacuum regularly and assist my little one  in constant state of clean up.  I guess it's a small price to pay.

5 comments:

  1. We are enjoying both of those things too! (the eggs and the books)
    Made me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya! I hear ya on this one! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha Ha...guess what part of this blog I liked best!?? Spaghetti!!! I told you it was no fun serving it her no matter how much she absolutely loves it!!!! I know messes are no fun but before you know it she will be a wonderful helper and you really will miss those sweet books all over her bedroom floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. May want to loosen Lakin's Pony Tail, so she can close her mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandpa is just kidding. I've seen her Grandma make that face before. I love you.

    ReplyDelete