Thursday, September 12, 2013

Bennett Brand: One Year!

This day came so fast.  Like way, way fast.  I'm even tempted to feel a little sad that our baby is now a toddler and that a whole year has gone by... but we've been blessed with one year with Bennett and here's to hopefully many more happy, healthy, love-filled years.  Being this boy's momma is such a gift.
Hard to think that one year ago yesterday I headed to the hospital early morning with no clue what lie ahead.  Ben was a determined baby and he came a mere four hours after we stepped foot in the hospital.  The nurses broke my water and before they could walk out my delivery door, he came a knocking.  Two pushes later we had a pink, screaming BOY!

Before he came I really thought we'd have another girl.  I secretly hoped for it because I thought it would be so sweet for Lakin to have a sister that close in age.  (Those of you with two girls two years apart are probably cackling right now.)  Being an only child, I really had little idea what to do with a boy or what it was like to raise one.  If I'm being honest, boys intimidated me.

But the Lord knew what would complete our family.  He knew that Bennett would be the perfect sibling for Lakin and the blessing Chris and I had prayed for since before conception.  Boys are so wonderful.  So sweet.  So lively.  This little boy of ours won my heart the moment I held him and continues to melt me every. single. day.  I cry almost every time I photograph the mother/son dance at a wedding (occupational hazard) and I'm reminded that this baby boy will grow into a man who will bring so many other people love and joy.

Happy birthday, Bennett!  I am confident you will bless the world with your smile and your generosity.  You make the room light up, love well on people's souls and teach me so much about our Heavenly Father's love.

 For your birthday we played with balloons in the crib.  You thought this was simply the best.  You were content to play with your spoon and balloons for an hour!
This month...

You started taking steps and standing up in the middle of the room.  You're pretty unstable but within a week's time, three steps have turned to four and five.  Pretty soon we'll be chasing you.  You also got two more teeth making your grand total eight; four on top and four on bottom.  Your mom gave you a popsicle and a haircut.  Let's just say the light of day is much less forgiving than the shadowy kitchen light of the evening.  Next time we'll see someone professional- but for now, this haircut will keep you humble.  You drink whole milk and gave up your bottle for sippy cups with little to no drama.  Nothing makes you as angry as finishing a sippy before you're done with your milk.  You're working on patience (or mom is reminding you to be patient) and have learned to say "aaaaddaaa" when you're finished eating.  Your mother assumes you are communicating "all done," and proceeds as if that's what you're saying, perhaps giving you more credit than you deserve... You clearly communicate, "Momma," and, "Dadda,"and still call dogs, "gawgs."  Otherwise, you have no words and like to look at your mom like she's crazy when she tries to get your to use new vocabulary.  You are no show pony and refuse politely whenever someone asks you to perform a trick for others.  Finally, this month you have started kissing; the wonderful open mouth, slobber infested sort of kisses where you lean your whole body in for love.  Your mom can ask for a kiss and then receive rapid fire smooches for five minutes at a time.  Life is good, Bennett!

And now for some more birthday fun!










No comments:

Post a Comment